Sunday, September 16, 2012

Plant a Fragrant Shrub this Fall


Viburnum carlesii
One of my favorite early Spring shrubs is the Korean Spice Viburnum. I remember walking through a Pike's Nursery over 10 years ago and smelling the sweet aroma and wondering what was blooming. I found out it was the Korean Sprice - one of many varieties of viburnums. I purchased one that day and have enjoyed it ever since! I'm convinced this is one of the most fragrant shrubs known to man. The dense flower heads, which measure up to 3in across, produce white flowers from blush pink buds, and the perfume, which is a sweet, rich, spicy vanilla, carries a considerable distance across a lawn or garden. Plant one or two where you take your walks through the yard - or, perhaps by a porch or under a window. You will not regret your decision next Spring!



Another fragrant shrub to consider is the lilac. Many gardeners think the lilac will not thrive in the South, but there are a few that will! I have had the variety "Miss Kim" for several years and although it doesn't reach the heights of it's Northern counterparts - you'll hear no complaints from me.

Though the Miss Kim has a slow rate of growth, it offers numerous advantages. Given its compact and naturally rounded shape, it can be used as a solid foundation in border planting. Although you'll read that it requires 'direct sun' - my shrub gets only partial. It receives shade from the hot afternoon sun and seems to "appreciate it."

No comments:

Post a Comment